The Paj Yeeb Project was an inspiration that came from the Magnolia Project of New Orleans. This project is in remembrance of the brave Hmong women and men who lost their lives due to domestic violence homicides from 1990 until now in the state of Wisconsin. This project also remembers friends and family members of the people whose lives were taken during the time that the tragedies happened. The poppy plant was farmed in Laos by many Hmong families and was harvested for medicinal purposes and used as a cash crop which is recognized by all Hmong people. Each poppy flower represents a victim that was killed.
The Paj Yeeb Project was created by MayTong Chang and is a traveling work of art that travels to the Celebration of Hmong Courage Banquet every year. The Hmong Courage Banquet celebrates the lives of Hmong women and children survivors whose lives were impacted by domestic violence each year. The banquet moves around the state of Wisconsin every year. For more information about the Paj Yeeb Project and/or the Celebration of Hmong Courage Banquet, contact HAWA.
We also remember the countless many other women, men and children out there whose lives have ended due to domestic violence homicides that we were not aware of.
The Hmong women and men whose lives were lost:
- Yee Yang was murdered on November 7, 1990 in Eau Claire. Yee left behind 8 children. Yee was 35 years old when she died.
- Houa Xiong was murdered on May 16, 1994 in Milwaukee. Houa left behind 5 children all under the age of 5 who were also in the house during the incident. Houa was 19 years old when she died.
- Song Lee Vang was murdered on June 16, 1995 in Appleton. Song left behind 7 children. 3 of Song’s children were in the home during the incident and one of them was severely injured. Song was 54 years old when she died.
- Jia Yang was murdered on January 28, 1996 in Wausau. Jia left behind 4 children who were present in the home during the incident. Jia’s friend was also killed during the same time. Jia was 23 years old when she died.
- Va Moua was murdered on February 5, 1998 in Eau Claire. Va’s 18 year old daughter and her friend were also killed at the same time.
- Mai Xiong was murdered on March 28, 1999 in La Crosse. She left behind 10 children of which 8 were in the home when police arrived. Mai was 32 years old when she died.
- Azalea Hang was murdered on October 8, 2005 in Milwaukee. Azalea leaves behind 2 children. Azalea was 24 years old when she died.
- Zia Yang was murdered on April 5, 2006 in Oshkosh. There were relatives in the house during this incident. Ziag was 36 years old when she died.
- Padalina Thao was murdered on September 13, 2006 in Weston. Padalina died leaving behind 7 children. Padalina was 29 years old when she died.
- Pa Houa Thao was murdered on August 28, 2007 in Weston. Pa Houa was 7 months pregnant when she was killed. Pa Houa was 25 years old when she died.
- Bao Vang was murdered on November 9, 2007 in Milwaukee. Bao leaves behind 6 children. Bao was 28 years old when she died.
- Mai Bongxay was murdered on December 4, 2007 in Green Bay. Mai was 59 years old when she died.
- Pa Houa Vang was murdered on May 21, 2009 in La Crosse. Pa Houa leaves behind 3 children. Pa Houa was 22 years old when she died.
- Shoua Lee was murdered on December 31, 2009 in Milwaukee. Shoua was 41 years old when he died.
- Nyia Sengkhammee was murdered on September 26, 2010 in Pulaski. Nyia was 55 years old when she died.
- Lee Xiong was murdered on October 13, 2012 in Weston. She was 20 years old when she died.
- Panhia Vue was murderd on June 9, 2013 in Altoona. Panhia leaves 7 children behind. The youngest child was only 5 months old. She was 35 year old when she died.